Sunday, January 26, 2014

My 600 Pound Life

I love this quote, because every time I update this blog I feel so vulnerable and have to muster that courage to share so much of myself, my challenges, my failures, and my success with everyone...

So, it's been a while and really that's just because there hasn't been much for me to cheer about or to bitch about. Life is pretty normal for me... I haven't had any issues with eating anything. I've had a few things that aren't the best for me, but for the most part I don't eat a lot of crap. My family has had meals actually cooked by me most every night lately, and I've been working my ass off (literally) at the gym 4 -5 days a week.

One good thing is that I seem to have broken through the plateau that I'd hit where I'd go up 2 lbs and
then lose 1 lb...then up 1 and down 2...I gained and lost the same few pounds for about 2 weeks. But this week, I finally broke it and am down 6 lbs from the high end of that. Now, I know that it's not the number on the scale...and my clothes have been fitting me differently (I don't have to wear my Spanx with my smaller size jeans anymore :) ), but let's face it people...we ALWAYS care what that number is. It's the concrete proof and confirmation of what you are doing. I am working on taking other things into consideration. Now that I'm starting to SEE the me that I picture in the mirror, I am starting to focus more on that. (I will post pictures on Feb 9 - which will be 2 months post-surgery) So, for now, give me a break for focusing on the numbers...I'm trying.

Now, I have to talk about a show on TLC that I've found this week and I completely relate to. It's called My 600 Pound Life. Each episode follows an EXTREMELY overweight person through gastric bypass surgery. Now, let me say right here that I am in now way using this as a way to make myself feel better or that I am better than these people. I watched two shows this week and felt such a kinship with the two women's stories.




My starting weight in all of this was about half of what the two shows I watched were...but in my mind I was as big as them. With the high blood pressure and surely on my way to other health issues, I saw no difference. Another difference is that I chose lapband instead of gastric bypass, which is what the doctor performs, but the end result and the diet seems very similar. There is a strict diet right after surgery (which you all heard me complain about) and then one of the most important things is when you do start eating is to get A LOT of protein (I eat between 45 - 55 grams EVERYDAY) and to start some sort of exercise or at least moving.

The first episode I watched was a woman who really just didn't get it. She refused to follow the doctor's orders and acted like everyone was out to get her and trying to hurt her. I felt so sorry for her. The one thing that I've learned through this is that obviously I didn't know how to lose this weight on my own...that's why I went to the professionals. I have followed the rules (almost) to the letter. But when you are still eating like you did before the surgery and refuse to even try to get moving...then it's not going to work. In fact this woman actually gained 5 lbs after surgery!

The second episode I watched was the total opposite of the first one. This woman wanted to be healthy and lose the weight so badly. She reduced her diet and started an exercise program at a gym. She did cheat with something that was REALLY bad. She would get a Diet Dr. Pepper from time to time. Carbonated drinks are a HUGE no-no when you've had bariatric surgery. And, this poor woman had a husband who was completely unsupportive of her new lifestyle. On the way home from the hospital he actually went through a drive through and got food - turning to her and asking her if she wanted anything. I really hope that she succeeds because even with the handicap of a husband who was actually cruel to her she was determined.

What I love about this show is that it realistically shows the struggles and the challenges that people go through when they choose this option to get healthier and live a better life. My surgery wasn't as drastic and my weight loss won't ever be as drastic as these people who do succeed, but I'm experiencing the same things...but I'm soo lucky to have the love and support of my family and friends. So, if you have a chance to watch this show, please do...and because you've experienced this with me I think that you will appreciate this journey for them so much more.

2 comments:

  1. I have a friend whose husband brought her a 64 oz. soda TO THE HOSPITAL THE DAY OF HER LAP BAND SURGERY. It took a matter of a couple of months before the band broke. It was heartbreaking and scary. You're so fortunate to have a wonderful, supportive family, Lisa. Congrats on taking charge of your own life, and for being willing to accept help and learn.

    ReplyDelete